Kaiserpfalz Imperial Palace
The Imperial Palace, built between 1040 and 1050 during the reign of Heinrich III, is a unique secular architecture monument. For more than 200 years German and European history was made here. In the St. Ulrich Chapel at the south end a stone sarcophagus with the figure of Heinrich III on the cover houses the gold capsule containing the heart of the emperor, who died in 1056.
World Heritage Rammelsberg Mining Museum
The ore mines of the Rammelsberg are the only mines in the world which were in uninterrupted operation for over 1000 years. It and the medieval Old Town of Goslar with the Imperial Palace were placed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1992. Ten centuries of mining history are documented in the Rammelsberg, which shut down in 1988, leaving a large inventory of mining monuments.
In the prebendary house from 1514 extensive exhibits covering the history and art history of the town as well as the geology and mineralogy of the region can be viewed. Outstanding objects: the famed Krodo Altar (early 12th century), the Goslar Evangeliar (13th century), a collection of over 1000 coins bearing the Goslar mint stamp, the miners’ tankard from 1477 and the original Market Fountain eagle from the 14 th century. Further exhibits cover the life of everyday people over the last 10 centuries. A fascinating trip back in time!
Town Hall and Hall of Homage
The Goslar Town Hall is, indeed, a building of the centuries: the east wing with the arcades opening onto the Market Square was begun in the middle of the 15th century and over the following 400 years the Town Hall was continually extended and enlarged. Today its overall impression is determined by the 16th century additions: a period of great prosperity for Goslar, which, as a member of Hanseatic League and a Free Imperial City, profited from the flourishing mining industry.
The Mönchehaus Museum is a renowned museum of modern art. Works of artists of international acclaim, such as Joseph Beuys, Max Ernst, Georg Baselitz and Eduardo Chilida, are on display in the rooms of the citizen farmer’s house from 1528 and the adjoining half- timbered buildings, the stone- vaulted cellars and the sculpture garden.
Tin Figure Museum
In the beautiful historical building of „Lohmühle“ (early 16th century) – set in romantic Klapperhagen – you will find the Goslar-Museum of tin-figures. The museum was founded by a group of sponsors in 1985. Experts and connoisseurs of the scene call it the most beautiful museum of its kind in Germany.
Just like the Broad Gate, one of Goslar’s four main town gates, the massive Zwinger Tower arrests the attention of those driving by. Pedestrians in the green belt park, as well, stop to gaze in awe. Built to protect the Rammelsberg and the east flank of the town up to the Broad Gate, it was one of the mightiest defences in Europe. Up to 1000 people could find safety in its four storeys in case of siege. Measuring 26 metres in diameter, the tower’s lower walls are over 6 metres thick.
Siemens Family Ancestral Home "Siemenshaus"
The ancestral home of the industrialist family Siemens in the Schreiberstrasse, built in 1693, is one of the largest and best preserved patrician mansions in Goslar. It is an impressive example of the typical multifunctional character of a house of the time: it was not only a residence but also the family’s place of business.
Collegiate Church Vestibule
Practically simultaneously with the construction of the Imperial Palace, the Collegiate Church of St. Simon and Judas was built at its foot, a building which would, over the next decades, be a model for numerous Romanesque churches both near and far. It was immensely influential in church politics: many canons attained the highest church offices, becoming bishops or advisors to the royal court.
The main building of the Town Hall had not long been completed when the cloth merchants built their guildhall in its immediate proximity in 1494. These were the wealthiest and most influential citizens of the town who demonstrated their influence with this building-- very nearly outshining the Town Hall. Over the centuries the façade was often altered and the mixture of styles gives it a certain charm today: the Baroque figures stand happily inside their Gothic-decorated niches.
Market Square with Market Fountain
Beyond the Market Square with the Town Hall the two different spires of the Market Church soar upwards. The great importance of the market fountain is obvious: it marks the centre of the Market Square and also the middle point of the town and is topped with Goslar’s symbol, the eagle, as well.
Carillon Bells and Figures at the Market Place
Four times a day all eyes and cameras focus on the gable of the former city treasury on the east side of the Market Square. Three little doors open up and the emerging figures tell the story of Rammelsberg mining from the legendary discovery of ore by the Knight Ramm up to modern times.
Located not far from the Market Square, the Schuhhof is probably Goslar’s older Market Square. It is framed by majestic half-timbered houses and the arcades of the Shoe Makers’ Guildhall.
At the upper right of the east facade of the Backers’ Guildhall the coat of arms of the Guild can be seen: the uncrowned Goslar eagle bearing a gingerbread upon its heart and three backer’s products below it.
Visible from afar, the fortified defences of a medieval town - the earth dams and moats, the walls, towers and wards - were proof of the town’s ability to defend itself. The gates in the walls were weak points requiring special protection. In the 16th century Goslar’s defences were reinforced one last time, the gates themselves becoming veritable fortresses in themselves.
Small Holy Cross
Like the Great Holy Cross and the St. Anne’s Foundation, the Small Holy Cross today no longer functions as a home for the elderly. Today it is used by the Frankenberg parish as a church community building; the small rooms are used for youth groups, hobby activities and mothers with children, while the hall serves as a meeting place after church on Sunday, and for lectures and concerts. A group within the church community is responsible for meeting the maintenance costs. This usage of a publicly-owned building by the church is in harmony with the founding fathers’ concept.
The “Brusttuch” (Scarf House), built in 1521, is one of the most beautiful patrician houses in Goslar. Hardly any right angle can be found in this trapezoid-formed house. Consequently, the carpenter had to mobilize all his craftsmanship for the timber framework and the roof construction. A wood carver gave his fancy full play when decorating the upper storey timber framework.
Leather Tanners’ Mill "Lohmühle"
Along the Gose and Abzucht streams there are more than 40 locations where over the last 1000 years water was used to power mills. Today only one mill at the “Klapperhagen” still creaks away on the rippling waterway. It was built in the early 16th century and served later as both a cement- and a leather tanning mill.
Frankenberger Plan with Fountain
The Frankenberger Plane is one of Goslar’s particularly beautiful squares. The attractive location of the Small Holly Cross hospital and the constructional consonance of the church and the Frankenberg Convent form a particularly attractive composition, expressing a peacefulness and seclusion which distinguish it from the other squares in Goslar.
Miners’ Cottage on the Forststraße
In just 46 square metres of floor space the miners’ everyday life of four centuries can be experienced. This little half- timbered house was built around 1600 and since then has been home to miners, slate quarrymen and craftsmen and their families. Even a night watchman and a town council clerk are listed as former owners.
Great Holy Cross
In 1254 the Great Holy Cross was founded as an almshouse for the town’s needy. Here the poor, the ill and orphans, as well as pilgrims and other travellers, could receive food and shelter. Today, unique in Germany, it still serves its original purpose - 750 years after its founding it provides modern accommodations for the elderly in an adjoining wing.
Historic Building "Kemenate Röver"
This historic citizen farmer’s house (built around 1500) at Frankenberger Straße 11 has an even older heart: the two-storey cellar, for storing Gose beer, stems from a previous Romanesque stone building. The hall has a rounded arch entryway and Gothic windows with stone window seats. The historic complex belongs to the local artist Hans-Joachim Röver and is used for exhibits, chamber music concerts and recitation evenings.
Behind a nondescript door in the town wall at the end of the Glockengiesser Straße lies the Jewish cemetery. With tombstones dating back to the early 17th century it documents the continuity of Jewish life in our town, which came to an end with the expulsion and extermination under the Nazis.