Frankenberg Church

The Frankenberg Church of St. Peter and Paul Church was built in the 12th century as a three-aisled, cruciform, pillared basilica with a flat ceiling. It stands on the highest point in the west of town. The steeples were part of the town wall. The existence of the church is documented for 1108 and beginning in 1234 it was also used for the nuns of the neighbouring St. Mary Magdalena Convent.

Around 1240 the roof was vaulted, in the 14th and 15th centuries Gothic alterations of the choir and the southerly transept are recorded, in 1783 the badly deteriorated steeples were removed and the Baroque tower roof added, and in 1873/80 extensive restoration of the interior and exterior was carried out. 

The Frankenberg Church was the parish church of miners who lived in close proximity to the mines in the Frankenberg Quarter. The bell inscriptions and the Mining Thanksgiving festival on Sunday before Ash Wednesday are reminiscent of this.

Of special interest:

  • Romanesque basilica
  • arched frieze above the console and the tympanum from 1230 above the South entrance
  • Romanesque capitals and columns inside the church
  • western gallery (nuns’ gallery)
  • murals, especially inside the western gallery (original 13 th century)
  • tomb stone of a benefactor couple (13 th century)
  • Baroque wood carving of the main altar (1675), miners’ gallery (1689), pulpit (1698), organ front

Opening hours:

April - October 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
November - March by appointment
Guided tours on request

Contact:

Phone 0049 (0) 5321 22464 or 22566, Fax 0049 (0) 5321 1566

 

Frankenberger Kirche
Frankenberger Kirche