Market Church St. Cosmas and Damian
The Goslar Market Church, first mentioned in 1151, was built as a smaller copy of the Imperial Church, which no longer exists, in the form of a triple-aisled, pillared basilica with two spires in the west. In the 14th and 15th centuries the choir was enlarged and an additional nave was added on both sides. Today it not only attracts attention through its central location on the Market Square but also because of its very high unmatched steeples, which assist in orientation and provide attractive views from various points in the Old Town.
The Frankenberg Church of St. Peter and Paul Church was built in the 12th century as a three-aisled, cruciform, pillared basilica with a flat ceiling. It stands on the highest point in the west of town. The steeples were part of the town wall. The existence of the church is documented for 1108 and beginning in 1234 it was also used for the nuns of the neighbouring St. Mary Magdalena Convent.
St. Jacob’s Church
With its two sturdy west spires, the St. Jacob’s church rises up near the Neuwerk convent. The former basilica, first mentioned 1073, underwent numerous structural alterations and the religious altercations of the Reformation in the 16th century. Martin Luther gave a delegation from Goslar a letter in reply to demands from the town council that the Reformation be introduced in Goslar, called the Articuli Jacobifarum, in which he supported the citizens’ Reformation zeal but was against any violent actions. The Articuli Jacobifarum is in the town archives and the Luther Letter is in the Market Church.
Monastery Church of St. Georg at the Grauhof estate
Baroque church from 1700 – 1711 by the master-builder Franz Mitta, it is famous for its Baroque interior and the Treutmann-organ from 1737 with 42 stops and 2500 pipes. The “Grauhöfer Orgelsommer” (Grauhof Organ Summer) takes place here.
St. Stephani’s Church is a three-aisled hall church from 1734 with a steeple in the west. The former cruciform basilica from the 12th century was destroyed in a fire in the 18th century.
This small Romanesque hall church from the 12th century was incorporated in the town fortifications and served as a gate chapel. From 1537 onwards it was the miners’ hospice chapel, replacing their former church in the Bergdorp village, which had been destroyed. The miners passed through the Claus Gate going to and coming from mines and the chapel served for hundreds of years for prayer and church services.
The former Cistercian convent church from the 12th century is a small copy of former Imperial Church - a triple-aisled cruciform basilica with two steeples in the west - as were all the parish churches of Goslar originally. Today the architectural elements are still in their unaltered original form, making the church a rarity in northern Germany.
St. Lukas Church, Jerstedt
The little village church of St. Luke in Jerstedt looks back on 1000 years of history, as it is mentioned in the Xanten Document from 1047. The choir was built in 1506, the steeple after the Thirty Years’ War. The altar was carved by H.A.Gröber in 1664. Of note are the founders’ crests dating from 1704. The barrel vaulted wood ceiling is colourfully painted: 52 angels (one for each week) praise the glory of the Lord. The organ dates from 1860 and was built at the Engelhardt workshop.
Founded in 1117 as a Benedictine monastery, in 1128 it became an Augustinian canons’ seminary under Provost Gerhard , who was buried in the crypt in 1150. Today only the ruins of the Romanesque three-aisled cruciform basilica with Saxon ordering of columns and pillars can be seen. Following the Secularisation in 1803 the furnishings were given away and the structure itself used as a source of building material.