Founded in 1117 as a Benedictine monastery, in 1128 it became an Augustinian canons’ seminary under Provost Gerhard , who was buried in the crypt in 1150. Today only the ruins of the Romanesque three-aisled cruciform basilica with Saxon ordering of columns and pillars can be seen. Following the Secularisation in 1803 the furnishings were given away and the structure itself used as a source of building material.
The hall-formed crypt has remained intact for over 850 years. The design is an example of clear Romanesque ordering in both the floor plan and the elevations and it has rich ornamental stone carving on the freestanding pillars, capitals and entablatures featuring animal and plant symbols, and very delicate acoustics.
The monastery belongs to the Klosterfonds Hannover and the properties have been used since the beginning of the 19 th century as a monastery estate.
In 1989 the estate was divided: the agricultural lands are under farm management and the former monastery building complex serves as a Protestant Gethsemane monastery offering silent withdrawal and renewal of the senses for both the monks and guests.
More information at www.gethsemanekloster.de (external link)
Viewing by guided tour only.
May to October: Tuesdays at 3:00 p.m.
Starting point: Rosenpforte in the southern stone wall.
Phone 0049 (0) 5321 21712 or 22194
Fax 0049 (0) 5321 1683