This small Romanesque hall church from the 12th century was incorporated in the town fortifications and served as a gate chapel. From 1537 onwards it was the miners’ hospice chapel, replacing their former church in the Bergdorp village, which had been destroyed. The miners passed through the Claus Gate going to and coming from mines and the chapel served for hundreds of years for prayer and church services.
The Frankenberg Parish had the pulpit rights and obtained the chapel from the mine administration in 1969. In 1988 following the last shift in the mines the miners visited the chapel for the last time. Today it is used regularly by the Frankenberg parish congregation for prayer and church services.
Gothic wood pulpit, with remnants of fresco paintings above
Gothic painted wood ceiling
Hymnal cabinet (16th century)
Triumphal arch group, crucifix from early 14th century
2 ore clumps as candleholders (1988)
Viewing and guided tours on request
Phone 0049 (0) 5321 22464 or 22566
Fax 0049 (0) 5321 1566