Museums 

Kaiserpfalz Imperial Palace

The Imperial Palace, built between 1040 and 1050 during the reign of Heinrich III, is a unique secular architecture monument. For more than 200 years German and European history was made here. In the St. Ulrich Chapel at the south end a stone sarcophagus with the figure of Heinrich III on the cover houses the gold capsule containing the heart of the emperor, who died in 1056. In the late 19th century both the Palace and the Chapel were renovated extensively and the interior of the Palace upper hall was decorated with monumental murals by H. Wislicenus. The ground floor has an extensive exhibition of itinerant imperial rule. The Imperial Palace is a “must” for every Goslar visitor.

Weiterlesen ...

Goslar Museum

In the prebendary house from 1514 extensive exhibits covering the history and art history of the town as well as the geology and mineralogy of the region can be viewed. Outstanding objects: the famed Krodo Altar (early 12th century), the Goslar Evangeliar (13th century), a collection of over 1000 coins bearing the Goslar mint stamp, the miners’ tankard from 1477 and the original Market Fountain eagle from the 14 th century. Further exhibits cover the life of everyday people over the last 10 centuries. A fascinating trip back in time!

Weiterlesen ...

World Heritage Rammelsberg Mining Museum

The ore mines of the Rammelsberg are the only mines in the world which were in uninterrupted operation for over 1000 years. It and the medieval Old Town of Goslar with the Imperial Palace were placed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1992. Ten centuries of mining history are documented in the Rammelsberg, which shut down in 1988, leaving a large inventory of mining monuments: the slag heaps (10th century), the Rathstiefste Gallery (one of the oldest and best maintained galleries of German mining, 12th century), the Feuergezähe Vault (oldest underground stone-masonry mine chamber in Europe, 13th century), the Maltermeister Tower (the oldest above ground structure of German mining, 15th century), the Roeder Gallery (18th/19th century) with two original water wheels, and the above ground mining plant from the 1930’s.

Weiterlesen ...

Town Hall and Hall of Homage

The Goslar Town Hall is, indeed, a building of the centuries: the east wing with the arcades opening onto the Market Square was begun in the middle of the 15th century and over the following 400 years the Town Hall was continually extended and enlarged. Today its overall impression is determined by the 16th century additions: a period of great prosperity for Goslar, which, as a member of Hanseatic League and a Free Imperial City, profited from the flourishing mining industry.

Weiterlesen ...

Mönchehaus-Museum Goslar

The Mönchehaus Museum is a renowned museum of modern art. Works of artists of international acclaim, such as Joseph Beuys, Max Ernst, Georg Baselitz and Eduardo Chilida, are on display in the rooms of the citizen farmer’s house from 1528 and the adjoining half- timbered buildings, the stone- vaulted cellars and the sculpture garden. Changing exhibits of works of different artists can be viewed in the three storeys of the 1528 house. Every year the town of Goslar presents the internationally acclaimed art award, the "Kaiser Ring", and the accompanying exhibit of works of the recipient opens at the Mönchehaus.

Weiterlesen ...

Zwinger

Just like the Broad Gate, one of Goslar’s four main town gates, the massive Zwinger Tower arrests the attention of those driving by. Pedestrians in the green belt park, as well, stop to gaze in awe. Built to protect the Rammelsberg and the east flank of the town up to the Broad Gate, it was one of the mightiest defences in Europe. Up to 1000 people could find safety in its four storeys in case of siege. Measuring 26 metres in diameter, the tower’s lower walls are over 6 metres thick. Today it houses a private Museum of the Late Middle Ages where armour and weapons for knights and musketeers, instruments of torture as well as boors’ weapons from 1524 are on display. From the rooftop there is a good view across Goslar and toward the mountains. It also houses a restaurant and holiday flats.

Weiterlesen ...

Tin Figure Museum

In the beautiful historical building of „Lohmühle“ (early 16th century) – set in romantic Klapperhagen – you will find the Goslar-Museum of tin-figures. The museum was founded by a group of sponsors in 1985. Experts and connoisseurs of the scene call it the most beautiful museum of its kind in Germany. Main subject of interest is the representation of the 1000 years of history of mining as well as the historical events of the region in general. The tin-figures are use as means of demonstration of these events and situations.

Weiterlesen ...