Collegiate Church Vestibule

Practically simultaneously with the construction of the Imperial Palace, the Collegiate Church of St. Simon and Judas was built at its foot, a building which would, over the next decades, be a model for numerous Romanesque churches both near and far. It was immensely influential in church politics: many canons attained the highest church offices, becoming bishops or advisors to the royal court.

In 1820 the desolate church was demolished; only the entry vestibule was left standing. Today outstanding examples of stone masonry and the decorative sandstone barriers of the Imperial Throne can be viewed.

 

 

Cookies erleichtern die Bereitstellung unserer Dienste. Mit der Nutzung unserer Dienste erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies verwenden.
Weitere Informationen Ok Ablehnen