The Frankenberger Plane is one of Goslar’s particularly beautiful squares. The attractive location of the Small Holy Cross hospital and the constructional consonance of the church and the Frankenberg Convent form a particularly attractive composition, expressing a peacefulness and seclusion which distinguish it from the other squares in Goslar.
The centre is marked by the fountain: the receptacle probably late medieval, remodelled in 1951 with a figure designed by Professor Fürstenberg. The Small Holy Cross (first mentioned 1394) at the West side was one of about 10 hospitals in medieval Goslar. It dominates the square with its gable front. The adjoining sexton’s residence to the right and the Frankenberg Church in the background complete the picture, which seems transported from another time.